Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix installed on HD: still not a standard Debian! (reformated?)

#include <hallo.h>
* Gilles Pelletier [Fri, Aug 01 2003, 01:34:03PM]:

> What do I find 9 months later? Just as was the case with
> Christian's efforts, you want the installation program to be a
> matter of fact, that you can't find the name of the
> installation script, let alone finding how you can mount a
> partition as /home.

Would you like to pay 400EUR for a Knoppix disk? WOULD YOU? Even if yes,
how many would like the same, even in the companies? If you cannot say a
sure YES, please shut up and think again about motivation that drives
developers to make a "end-user" compatible (moron compatible)
product.

> Nothing has changed! Some new guy is rewrtiting an script "from
> scratch to have an easy-config". Maybe we'll have a new one

Do you have a single idea how much work is needed to make a such
EAZY-CONFIG thingie work _reliable_? Apparently not, so STFU.

> I'm not saying Fabian is not doing his best, but maybe he's not
> competent enough, or he needs more help, or it's a mission
> impossible ordeal, or God knows what. This I can't determine.

You cannot, so don't try.

> " I never intended to publish another installable distribution.
> People expect an installation manual and personal support, and
> I cannot do this for free in my free time."

Bingo!

> Slackware has but a very outdated manual, both online and in
> print. It's of very little use now. And Volkerding offers no
> support. What's different with you? You don't produce the
> installation program?  If would think Robbins produce a much
> lesser part of his distro. So?

What do you try to do here? Motivate somebody? This is definitely the
worst way!

> Computers are now considered just another appliance and people
> want software that works first hand. Linux has been released
> early all too often and is still a far cry from this objective.
> Hey! If there's no development problem here, I wonder where
> there is!

Linux (I hope you mean linux, the kernel) suffers from too many people
not being ready for teamplay and too many bull-headed core developers
which refuse to accept things that are not developed/blessed/good
understood by them. But that is another story, nothing that you have to
worry about.

> Because the Knoppix CD worked so well, I thought things were
> about to change. I've been daydreaming, I suppose.

Again, your judgement is based on wishes and dreams instead of facts.
Drink some coffee, try to develop something or invite some Debian
maintainer close to your location to a pizza or so, ask him about issues
and think again.

MfG,
Eduard.
--
Man könnte viele Beispiele für unsinnige Ausgaben nennen, aber
keines ist treffender als die Errichtung einer Friedhofsmauer. Die,