[debian-knoppix] Beta 2 report

Ok, after a brief discussion with Klaus regarding Beta 1, I'm posting about Beta 2 here. (Hi everyone. )

The DVD boots up fine now on my Fujitsu lifebook. My previous problems with beta 1 where the IDE chipset causes kernels up to 2.4.20 or so to lock up when probing. This has been fixed in beta 2 with 2.4.21. The autoconfig failure seems to be fixed as well, and everything boots up fine. I was able to store a configuration and make a home directory cloop file on a USB key. One odd thing that's happening is that if I have a USB mouse connected to the laptop, its use doesn't seem to reset the ACPI timer, so every few minutes if I'm just web browsing the screen suddenly shuts off. I'm going to use the built in mouse for a while to see if that still happens.

As a side note for either edition, boot commandline support for 16x9ish screens (1024x600, 1280x768 - what I have specifically) would be cool. For whatever reason, the ati rage driver seems to strech horizontally, messing up the right side if booted into 1024x768. A custom X config file readily fixes the problem, so it's really just an annoyance.

Mozilla seems to work well, pretty speedy considering. I'll be running through more apps over the next few hours.

Overall, this DVD edition is really awesome!

-Sean.