Re: [debian-knoppix] Please, improve Gnome (Software recommendations for LinuxTag DVD edition)

#include <hallo.h>
* Mantas Kriauciunas [Sun, Jun 15 2003, 03:30:15PM]:

> Sorry if I've insulted anybody, but... have you looked at screenshots of
> gnome-system-tools ? For example:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/screenshots/networking.jpg
>
> I think after you see this screenshot you'll understand why current network
> configuration I called "a hack".

No. You call it a hack because you expect a
super-cewl-configurable-in-everything GUI. YOU. Are you the Joey Random
user, without detailed technical knowledge? It is completely wrong in
the Knoppix context, where a semi-intelligent, straight-forward
interface (a "wizard") is the better way to lead the clueless user to
the goal.

> Btw, why knoppix should have his own configuration tools, when debian
> already contains two good tools - multiplatform gnome-system-tools
> (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/gnome/gnome-system-tools.html) and

See above. It is Gnome dependent, and it may confuse users.

> small (only few kb + libgnome-perl package if you want graphical interface)
> Debian-specific etherconf
> (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/etherconf.html).

Etherconf could do the job, but it works with debconf and requires RW
access to the disk.

> debian-desktop project (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-desktop/)
> recommeds to use gnome-system-tools, I think Knoppix should follow these
> recommendations

Ey, you know that this project is frozen, AFAIK nobody really works on
it. Random quote:
| Finish integrating KDE 3 into Debian unstable. See The Debian KDE FAQ for information.

MfG,
Eduard.