Re: [debian-knoppix] Software recommendations for LinuxTag DVD edition?

I'd recommend Quanta Plus, including for the regular knoppix distro.

My 2 cents on including windows programs in a "LinuxTag" DVD edition?  Anyone
familiar with the controversy of Microsoft being invited to speak to the Open
Source event at George Washington University recently?  Here's links for
background if you are unfamiliar:

http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/02/09/2138247&mode=thread&tid=51

http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/02/11/2118256&mode=thread&tid=19

What happened at this event?  Microsoft received all the press attention.  And
pulled valuable press attention, and attendee attention from other projects.

Anyone remember the last Linuxworld in NYC?  Microsoft attended.  Not only
attended, but they were nominated for an award, and won one of the awards.
What was the fallout?  At a Linuxworld convention, to showcase Gnu/Linux
products and projects, Microsoft was awarded a prize, and press, for an award
that otherwise would have gone to another free software project that runs on
linux.  I'm familiar with the background on the particular project in
question.  I don't know if the leader of the project would want his name or
the name of the project mentioned, so I'll refrain from specifying what it
is.  Those of you familiar with the incident may know who/what I'm talking
about.  Anyway, the result was that because Microsoft walked away with the
prize, and with the press, it cost the free software project about $40,000 in
lost contracts that were in the pipeline at the event.  And cost
substantially more because it lost the articles that would have showcased the
project and application had it picked up the award.

What you put on your DVD will have an impact on who, how many, and how often,
these apps, projects, software is seen by others.  This can make or break a
small project, make or break the spark that lights an idea in a programmer's
head.  Microsoft doesn't need any help in increasing the usability of their
software.

Anyone running windows and interested in gnu/linux doesn't need help in
googling for or downloading, or installing putty for windows.  I found putty
and WinSCP on my own, without any help from any project.  As a newbie linux
user, I know that rpm dependency problems have stopped me from installing
software that runs on linux.  It stopped me from installing amaya, scribus
and some other programs.  Now that I've decided to start using a distro based
on debian, with apt's package manager, I'll have an easier time of installing
software.  But with the knoppix disk, I don't have to install scribus, it's
there for me to check out.  Haven't checked for amaya yet.  I know Quanta
Plus is missing (as of 5/20).  And I know that I won't be installing it until
I do the hard disk install (I'll talk about the ridiculous requirement of
2.2+ GB of space in /, and dumping everything in / instead of putting
everything where it belongs, and the lack of ReiserFS as a choice during the
install in a separate email).

You have the opportunity to affect a lot of small projects with what you
decide to put on your DVD.  And the ability to help steer the direction of
gnu/linux.

Don't include windows programs at the expense of free and open source software
that runs on gnu/linux.  If those windows programs are important enough for
windows users, then add a link to your faq page that pops up on the desktop,
or include a readmewindowsusers.html page in a top level windows directory on
the DVD that provides hyperlinks to the download locations for the windows
programs on the internet, or the google search terms if necessary.  Windows
users won't have any trouble downloading and installing putty or winscp from
the internet from your provided hyperlinks.  But they may have trouble
installing, running, or even knowing about, software that runs on gnu/linux.
And while there are over 10,000 or 15,000 free software apps for linux
available for Debian users, if they aren't on the DVD, they are less likely
to be tried out and used by as many people than if they are included on the
DVD.

ok, actually, it was more than 2 cents.  But I had to say it.

Bing.

All spam received is reported to SpamCop.

http://spamcop.net/