[debian-knoppix] hd-install: problems with new packages

hi there

I'm having problems installing new packages with knoppix, just don't seem to
be able to get the dependencies right. one solution is to change it to
debian/testing or debian/unstable by altering the apt/sources.list as
suggested in this forum advisory, but an apt-get upgrade scares me when it
suggests removing the entire kde packages:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2251

my questions are:

1) how much of my user data will be deleted by this? If I need to reinstall
KDE then most of my desktop settings will be gone. Will this include
user-files stored on the desktop?

2) will it interfere with login / user identities set up since installing
knoppix?

3) I once wasted about half a week with sid/unstable because of an update and
minor system misconfiguration in one of the packages. Is testing a bit more
secure?

Thanks for your help!