RE: [debian-knoppix] beating ghost

>My disk stats,
>
>These are all 66 or 100 drives. Is this all the speed
>you can get out of ide drives. What can I do if
>anything to speed these drives up?

Hello Tim,

The stats look ok. What you could do is to check the speed of the
interfaces (also with hdparm). You'll need to check whether they are
running at 33, 66 or 100 (-X to set the speeds). Do be careful with it
though, not all IDE chipsets are bugless (actually, most of them contain
somekind of bugs ;-).

The speeds you mention are quite normal ones. The ~33MB/sec is normal
for two generation old technology, or maybe 5400 rpm. The 45 is 7200
rpm, one generation old.

The current generation 7200 ide disks with higher density storage give
me about 58 MB/sec (linear). (Maxtor MaxLine II Plus-models), which is
IMHO quite nice ;-).

And, as someone already pointed out, you could use software/hardware
RAID to get more speed, or striped LVM. But that wasn't probably what
you were after.

Another hdparm flag that I use regularely with older chipsets is -c1 to
turn on 32-bit accesses to the IDE-controller. This does not seem to
affect newer generation chipsets.

ak.