Re: [debian-knoppix] mksortlist question

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 01:45:19AM +0200, LF wrote:
> >Just before rebooting and creating the file list.
>
> rebooting? hm. i was running it in the chroot jail. rebooting wouldnt
> access any of the files inside the chroot system.

If you don't access the files, their access time won't change, and you
can't create a sortlist using the script.

> should i run the script inside a system that boots from the compressed
> image on hd? (i know how to do this) without chroot?

I don't think this will work well.

> or should i boot the uncompressed knoppix root on hd somehow (how?) and
> then run it?

Just boot it from a separate partition, like I do?

> would accessing a readonly mount really change the access times? i dont
> know...

No. The point is that you boot a read/write system and then check the
access time sequence of all files. At least this is one possible method.
Tracing kernel open() calls would be more precise.

> >I don't understand this question, sorry.
>
> i meant how to go about this 'measurement phase' before the script is
> run.

Well, see the answer above.

> my work routine has 3 phases: first upgrade/develop where  i work
> inside the chroot
> then i make the compressed image and then i can boot that too check for
> bugs and test
> i need to know where this measurement phase fits.

Before creating the compresses image. This is the thing you want to
read-optimize, I would guess.

> >Should be OK, since now mkisofs has to check each file for its
> >appearance i your sortlist. To speed up things the build process, you
> >could
> >probably truncate the list a bit.
>
> probably the most important is that the boot process and the most used
> (big) applications are optimized this way...

Agreed.

> but as you mentioned rewrites, we're planning to use a perl script to
> simplify working on the profile and abstract the profile-copying that
> is quite complex and daunting in its current state in
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession. but there is a lot of magic in this
> file so our script will have to get smarter than it is now :) when it
> does, i'll post a note here.

That would be great thanks!

-Klaus