Re: [debian-knoppix] Working with packages

On Thu, 1 May 2003 11:28 am, Pablo Zuccarino wrote:
> 1- How do i obtain a list of the installed packages (or "half installes",
> "unpacked", etc.) in the system. I´ve taked a look at
> /var/lib/dpkg/available but i don´t know if that list is what i´m looking
> for. Neither i know if somewhere is updated the list of packages every time
> i remove something; and if not (if it´s not updated automatically) how can
> i update it when some "clean up" is done?

 dpkg --get-selections

 # alias lsd
 alias lsd='dpkg --get-selections'

 lsd | grep somepackage

> 2- Is there any way to "mark" packages (for example by category, AUDIO,
> VIDEO, or one by one) in order to uninstall them all at the same time with
> just little commands doing reference to that "mark". Is it possible to use
> the "list" menssioned above (item 1) in some way to do that.

Create a couple of simple text files with nothing but the names of
the various packages you want per catergory then...

 # cat av
 xmix
 xmms
 xmovie

 # apt-get install $(< av)
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, xmix is already the newest version.
Sorry, xmms is already the newest version.
Sorry, xmovie is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 182  not upgraded.

> 3- Can packages dependencies be uninstalled-deleted when unintalling the
> related packages, and if so, in the other hand, if i want to leave packages
> that need the same dependencies that one that i want to uninstall is it
> possible to check that before uninstalling the package in order to avoid
> the deletion of the dependencies that the remaining package will need?

Don't worry, 99.9% of the time apt-get will do for you, and inform
you, of the "right thing" to do.

If I understand your questions correctly then these are all stock
standard Debian issues and not Knoppix specific.

--markc