Re: [debian-knoppix] Performance issues on SMP vs UP (was Re: non-SMP kernel)

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 04:03:50PM +0100, Robert Vanyi wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:43:03PM +0900, Masaharu Goto wrote:
> > Klaus, would you please give me clues to rebuild own kernel for current
> > knoppix ?
> >
> >  - Where/How can I get sources and patchs to build kernel-2.4.20-xfs ?
> >  - Contents of your /etc/mkinitrd/* files( mkinitrd.conf, modules)
> >  - Related advices.
> Ok, I'm not Klaus, but you can check this site:
> http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomKernelHowto
>
> AFAIK Knoppix kernel is just a vannilla kernel + XFS Patch +

Exactly.

www.kernel.org
www.xfs.org

> knoppix-kernel.patch (6 lines :)

Actually, it's one line. The others are context. ;-)

The kernel patch just enlarges the boot option space to 512 instead of
256 chars.

> Important: knoppix-kernel.patch _after_ make (menu)config, and don't

Should not matter if you patch before make config.

> forget to rebuild cloop.o!

Indeed. Also, rebuild loop-aes if you want loopback crypto support.

> Cloop (among other things) can be found here:
> http://www.knopper.net/download/knoppix/
>
> XFS patch: apt-get install kernel-patch-xfs :)))

Really? This is even more easy than downloading from xfs.org...

> > Or anybody tried to rebuild UP kernel and measured performance ?
> I tried. I did not replace anything on the CD (did not have time to
> remaster the whole CD, only the bootfloppy).

Well, you will have to find some time to remaster the CD. If your kernel
does not match the modules, you have to prepare yourself for big trouble.

> But the system froze, just after INIT started, and I think there is no
> problem with the modules on the CD (ok, they are SMP modules, and it is
> possible, that there _will_ be problems), but the boot process just does
> not get that long.

Wrong. The modules, as PART of the kernel, will simply kill the system
if the interfaces don't match.

You CANNOT use a non-SMP kernel with SMP modules (at least in 99% of all
cases).

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org