[debian-knoppix] knoppix access to and from hdxx ?

Hi All
I have installed my 'new improved' hdinstall (20th Jan version) and can't access my hda1 or hdb1 as 'knoppix' . I can do this as root or su. I have done "mount /dev/hdb1 mnt/hdb1 -t vfat" (and similar for hda1) and tried to edit the /etc/fstab file (various ways) but nothing seems to work.

I have a desktop icon with permissions that enable knoppix (user) and knoppix (group). Is there something else I have to do? I really need to be able to read and write to hdb1 (vfat). I know that I can't write to ntfs which is not important.

This is the relevant part of the file.

# partitions found by Knoppix
#/dev/hdc2 /mnt/hdc2 xfs noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
#/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0 /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 vfat noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0

Thanks for any help
Trish