Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix Persistent_home. What's the use?

On February 5, 2003 04:06 pm, Matthias Schwarze wrote:

> Hi Gilles!

Salut Matthias!

> "Persistent home" is just about the /home directory of knoppix,
> that normally resides in a ramdisk. What persistent home does is:
> it "replaces" the ramdisk by a harddisk (or thumbdrive...) for your
> /home directory. So whatever you put in your /home directory (the
> one from knoppix!!!) is no longer lost if you reboot knoppix.

So, instead of saving directly to /home on your HD, you save to the
ramdisk, cluttering memory which might be useful for other purposes
and running a chance that a power outage will wipe it out, to save
your ramdisk /home to your hard disk .knoppix file when you shut
down!

No doubt this can be very useful to some people, but I for one will
stay with Knoppix the way it is.

Thanks for your answers!

GP
--
La Masse critique
Les sionistes tuent en Palestine, pourquoi pas ailleurs?