Re: [debian-knoppix] Please, add lithuanian language to knoppix

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 01:26:29AM +0200, Mantas Kriauciunas wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 06:58:20PM +0100, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> > No problems with lithuanian language support, except for a technical one:
> >
> > - How do you fit 8MB of locale and font files on a CD that has 0 Bytes
> >   of space left?
>
> OK, I understand. Maybe you could just fix bug with lithuanian locale -
> there are no /usr/share/locale/lt directory and for example when I start
> abiword I get AbiWord in lithuanian but only english symbols are displayed.
> Without kde-i18n-lt package /usr/share/locale/lt directory occupies less
> than 1 MB. Now I can't even do normal hdinstall, because of this hack
> I should reinstall all packages, that contains files in /usr/share/locale/lt

Hmm.. I did not remove them on purpose, but since lt is not a supported
language in knoppix-autoconfig, mkisofs will map out this directory in
the build scripts. You can fix this by just reinstalling the locales
package in your modified version.

> I know anout this (in my previous letter I said "iso file is correct, I
> checked md5 before burning CD".
> You don't understand me. I said, that "there are no way to check if CD
> is *burned* without errors. Debian has file md5sum.txt *in* CD, but I don't see anythink like this in knoppix CD :("

I think I understood you right, but you don't seem to be aware of the
fact that you can use the exact same md5sum-file to verify if the CD
was burned correctly.

Just do a

dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=1 count=size_of_image | md5sum

to check if the burned CD still matches the image.

Also, for a quick check, you can boot knoppix with
knoppix testcd
which will check for physical read errors.

> This means, that there are no md5 file for every file *inside* CD.

Because I don't think it makes much sense to do this for each individual
file, when you can just check the full image.

> > - I will check if debsums still fits, for the next release, though
> >   nobody has found this an important missing feature yet.
>
> It would be nice, but not necessary if there will be md5 file for every
> file *inside* CD like in Debian.

I have added debsums, it was not too big.
Adding an md5 file for EACH file on the CD would exceed the available
space, though, alone for the entries in the ISO directory index.