Re: [debian-knoppix] File access time sorting speedup

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 07:17:22PM -0800, R. Dale Thomas wrote:
> 	I read the archive of this list in which Klaus Knopper answered the
> question about bootup speed.  In that response, Klaus states that he uses
> "the file access times as sorting criteria".  He then goes on to give a
> sample
> script of what he means.  In the example script, he uses the /KNOPPIX.build
> directory that appears to be the root of the system and checks for access
> times

/KNOPPIX.build is an additionally mounted directory that is used for
writing the ISO image and contains some other supportive files that are
NOT to be written to the image (mkisofs -m /KNOPPIX.build). The / is
also the root file system for the cloop-compressed iso image.
Just my individual setup.

> of the files.  I assume that this is a separate partition that has just been
> booted so the access times have been set by that boot process.  Can anyone
> clearify the procedure that was used leading up to this process?
> 	This is my take on the process:
> A partition is used for a copy of the 'ready to burn' cd image with an
> additional
> directory of KNOPPIX.build.

First the timestamp file is created. Than the partition containing the
KNOPPIX / file system is booted, so the access times are set on the ext2
filesystem. Then, a find-script creates the list of files changed since
the modification date of the timestamp file.

A cleaner way would be running a kernel with the open()-trace patch.