Re: [debian-knoppix] Testing remastered KNOPPIX and changing username

Chaz <chaz@starryskies.net> writes:

> I am using a 500 MHz machine and the process of building the compressed
> KNOPPIX image takes over 2 hours.  I thought I would try repartioning and
> booting into the uncompressed system.  Any problems with that? At what
> stage in the boot process does the KNOPPIX file decompress to the RAM
> disk?

Ensure you copied knoppix onto the main directory of a partition,
i.e. if you're working in /dev/hda8 and it's mounted on /mnt/work,
then you must have uncompressed the KNOPPIX cloop into
/mnt/work/KNOPPIX/.

Mount boot.img via loopback, get miniroot.gz from it and copy it to
/mnt/work/KNOPPIX/miniroot.gz, gunzip it and mount it via loopback,
get linuxrc from it, change the line:

    if test -n "$FOUND_KNOPPIX" -a -f /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX; then

    if test -n "$FOUND_KNOPPIX" -a -f /cdrom/KNOPPIX/hdboot; then
      echo -e "\n ${GREEN}Running hard disk dump...${NORMAL}"
    elif test -n "$FOUND_KNOPPIX" -a -f /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX; then

Unmount miniroot and gzip it again.  Add the following to your
lilo.conf:

image=/mnt/work/KNOPPIX/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
        label=knoppix
        append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi vga=791 nomce quiet"
        initrd=/mnt/work/KNOPPIX/miniroot.gz
        read-only

Run as root `lilo -v'.

Now you can select when to boot Knoppix from HD or from CD by simply
`touch'ing or `rm'ing the file /mnt/work/KNOPPIX/hdboot.

Worked with 3.2, haven't tried with more recent ones.

Massimiliano