[debian-knoppix] Testing remastered KNOPPIX and changing username

I am using a 500 MHz machine and the process of building the compressed
KNOPPIX image takes over 2 hours.  I thought I would try repartioning and
booting into the uncompressed system.  Any problems with that? At what
stage in the boot process does the KNOPPIX file decompress to the RAM
disk?

I would also like to be able to change the username in our remastered
version of Knoppix.  I tried changing USER=starryskies in
/KNOPPIX/etc/init.d/xsession but that made X unhappy and obviously it is
going to take more work or I am not aware of the right way to do it.  Any
suggestions?

If I edit Mr Knooper's scripts to include reading a config file for
parameters such as username and group, would they be merged into
the source he distributes?

Thanks,
Chaz

                    Griffith Observatory Star Award
for excellence in promoting astronomy to the public through the World Wide Web.
Starry Skies Network                             The Starry Messenger
http://StarrySkies.com                        http://StarryMessenger.Net
publishing science                              the weekly newsletter of
articles since 1995.                            the StarrySkies Network