[debian-knoppix] alsa and lockup: how big a problem?

I am building a knoppix-variant aimed at unsophisticated users.
People for whom the use of boot options would be considered
an advanced feature.  Hence I am wondering whether I should
hardware alsa as a boot option.

I know that there have been previous discussions of this question,
and that there is the possibility that the computer will lock up.
My question is:  how severe is this risk?  Might it be worth taking
in the interest of a better experience for the majority of users?

Conrad