[debian-knoppix] No loop.o after CustomKernel remaster

I had the notion to try adding SUN12x22 fonts
because FB1280x1024 has such small chars without
them.

I did that from the booted Knoppix 3.2 7/25/03 CD.
after I copied its contents to HD and got the
linux vanilla 2.4.21 source.

I chrooted to the KNOPPIX tree and used make
menuconfig to add
consoledrivers->framebuffersupport -> select
compiled in fonts -> sparcconsole 12x22.

I added the knoppix patch and the cramfs patch
which I got from the do_mounts.c from the Debian
kernel-source. I also added the xfs patch that I
got from
ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/patches/2.4.21
It failed on 1 hunk for drivers/scsi/sim710_d.h

Then I ran make-kpkg --revision 1 --initrd on the
source dir and installed the resulting .deb

I copied vmlinuz to the boot.img and changed the
modules in the miniroot file. I was surprised
they had changed, but the sizes are different for
me than for the master CD.

When I booted from the floppy after clooping the
KNOPPIX tree, I got my SUN characters, very
pretty, but no loop mounts because he cannot find
"block-major-7" which is loop.o And sure enough:
it ain't there.

I did this whole show 2x to be sure and the 2nd
time I copied loop.o from the CD master, to no avail.

Can anyone shed light on why I have no loop.o
although CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m and I left the
config file as is except for the console driver
section?

And did I get the XFS patch from the right place?
Then why does it only go halfway?

Also with the xfs patch 6 new config items show up:
Old quota support         N
VSF V0 quota support      N
Compatible quota i/f      N
XFS fs supprt             N
Built in Kernel dbugger   N
Load mods for debug       N

Wouldn't you want to say Y for XFS fs support?
But the default is N.

BTW I think Knoppix is the neatest thing since
canned beer and sliced bread: stands right next
to Linux and Debian...

Thank you!

Hugo.

The following signature is automatically
added by the web email service I use,
which is beyond my control: