[debian-knoppix] Re: Multiple NIC Problem

Klaus, Thank you for responding. It must be quite a task to maintain an OS and provide support for it, so I appreciate your effort.
No, Linux does not barf out with two or more NICs.

I figured as much -- I just wondered if Knoppix specificially had some odd configuration that caused problems.
You may have hit a general problem with IRQ misconfiguration in your
BIOS or a broken ACPI. Sometimes changing the sequence of slots in which
the cards are inserted, helps. As you may know, some PCI slots share
IRQs with some bridge or AGP controllers, which leads to all kinds of
trouble.

IRQs were definitely the issue here -- the board is so poorly set up that it had 3 USB hub controllers on the same IRQ as that NIC. Sadly, it gives no function to control IRQs directly, but using its "fail safe" values gave me access to the on-board NIC and the wireless card, which is good enough.
Some IRQs may be shared between network cards, some not. PC hardware is
awful, and gets worse all the time.

I'd really have to agree with you here. I seem to remember having much more control over my hardware many years ago on my 386 systems. Thanks again for your assistance. Alex Kirk