[debian-knoppix] Making a new miniroot.gz

Hello,

Yesterday in an attempt to make a knoppix boot floppy, (to boot a /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX from harddisk) I made a new miniroot.gz of size less than the standard. The file contents of it is same from the stock one from knoppix CD + some USB drivers to make it boot from a usb stick. But I was not able to boot from it, and balked out saig their is not enough size left. Today I read the Custom Kernel Howto and it also says along the same lines.

<quote>
Research miniroot a bit more and see what kernel mods may be necessary to change it's size. Creating one that is anything but the original 3MB seems to end badly for me.
</quote>

Any one knows why? I finally managed to make a boot floppy by simply rawriting the boot.img, which I should have done long back :) But I want to know why a minirot.gz that I created do not work? :(

I have noticed one more strange thing while creating the miniroot.gz, it will be nice if some one here can explain it.

I created an ext2 filesystem on a file.
-rw-r--r--    1 raj      raj          1.0M Aug 16 01:09 miniroot
mke2fs -i 1024 -b 1024 -m 3 -F -v miniroot

gziped it and see the size..
-rw-r--r--    1 raj      raj          1360 Aug 16 01:11 miniroot.gz

mounted it and made a big file in it.

# mount -o loop miniroot /cdrom/

df -h

/home/raj/tmp/tmp/miniroot   891K   13K  848K   2% /cdrom

made a big file in it

dd if=/dev/urandom of=miniroot bs=1024 count=350

new df -h is

/home/raj/tmp/tmp/miniroot    891       366       495  43% /cdrom

umounted and gzipped  the file again..

-rw-r--r--    1 raj      raj        361284 Aug 16 01:16 miniroot.gz

Now mounted it again removed the file and then umounted and gzipped..

-rw-r--r--    1 raj      raj        361283 Aug 16 01:17 miniroot.gz

Their is only a small difference. I fully filled the filesystem with zero bytes file and then erased them. and agin umounted and checked the size..

-rw-r--r--    1 raj      raj        339770 Aug 16 01:26 miniroot.gz

Still it is big. Any one knows why this is happening? I was quite amazed by this. :)

raj