Re: [debian-knoppix] Annoying posts from people who can't read an FAQ

On August 3, 2003 05:12 pm, you wrote:
> Gilles,
>
> must say that you have been stirring up the lists a bit (don't
> get me wrong, sometimes things need to be stirred up for them
> to move along).

Unfortunately, it's not because this are stirred that they
neccessarily move :(

> I've been following Knoppix for some time, and since a half
> year develop Morphix. I respect Klaus's decision to not want to
> deal with a distro that is installable easily, but don't share
> his view: Knoppix can be much more, which is why i've 'forked'
> Knoppix. Besides being 'modular' in design (and having a
> Install to harddisk button on most of the desktop's, which
> Klaus took a swing at in his interview), I'm trying to make it
> as easy to use as possible.

Maybe this makes more sense than trying to install a compressed
file that's apt to change just about every day?

> Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you tried it out (if you havn't
> done so already). Much of the ideas you ventilated are the same
> i'm trying to get into morphix, and I could use some decent
> critique, as things can always get better.

I've checked your site and there seems to be many outstanding bugs
to be dealt with, where I can't be of much help. You see, I work
with versions that are supposed to final and I sweat big times.
Imagine with a version that's at 0.4 !!! (BTW, any developments
since May?)

For instance, I spent all evening to finally discover that there
was no other way to boot two verisons of Linux with differents
kernels than to copy the version of kernel on hdb on hdax/boot.
Shit! Inagine with a non-final version while I know next to
nothing about Debian.

You know, I began dealing with computers in circum 1987 at the
time when the 286 came out. At the time, I was young, and since
there was no Linux, I liked to fool around with batch files etc,
but these days, while I get next to no paradoxal sleep, I would
prefer if things worked right out of the box.

So, may I suggest you try to recruit people like Kai and Fabian
instead. Ask them whether they think their efforts wouldn't be
more efficiently invested in Morphix. Try to gather forces and
create a momentum, and call on me at rc1 : )

Then, if I'm not stuck in another project, and if I'm still alive
and kind of kicking, I'll be glad to contribute like I would have
been today if things had moved a little bit more swiftly with
Knoppix. But, for now, production oblige, I've got to get back to
Slackware... and maybe someday Vector.

I hope you're not as easily discouraged as Fabian. I know what a
wonder apt-get is and I find your efforts very valuable.

Best regards to the people of your country. I keep a good souvenir
of it. Of course, since I french speeking, I wasn't as open armly
received as in France, but I found it was well organized so that
young people could travel without paying an arm and a leg. The
camping were rented so mucn for the ground, so much per person.

I stayed at the Vliegen Bos -- yes, that's the name! -- just
outside Amsterdam. I also stayed at a camping in a region of
marshes where you could only get by foot, bicycle or moped. We
used to go shopping by canoe. What a delight! No fuckin' stupid
tourists who came by bus or with their camping car.

All sorts of short events come back to mind, some people mainly:
at the Vligen Bos, there was and English guy who drunk about 7 -
8 Groelch a day, but could speak of any subject, from metallurgy
to the trade of spices in Zanzibar. The old guy who took care of
the camping was a show all by himself. Since I was older that
most campers, I'd take me aside to explain how Dutch people had
so much more common sense that most Europeans... ans most people
in general. And, in many aspect, I had to agree. There was a
young 17 - 18 French who seemed so glad to be away from his
parents and to really to smoke his head out of reality. I had to
explain he'd have more fun if he was so stoned and he haeartily
agreed. (Ever noticed how this almost never happens whith
drunkards, and almost always with heavy marijuana smokers?)

I remember hearing classical music as I was walking in the streets
of Amsterdam. I got up the stairs and, though I'm not much a
classical music aficionado, found the music those "students" were
playing so pleasing, that I discreetly sat in the corridor to
listen.

I remember spending an evening with farmers on whose land I had
set my tent. At first they where very reluctant to greet me but
their young girl, who spoke some english, said I'd be staying. At
night, she got out to danse and I stayed with the parents
practicing sign language like I had never done in my life. Still
I keep a good souvenir of this evening. There was no uneasiness.

Umh... Travel. This was 15 ago. I wonder how it would be today. I
had been to the MelchWeg (The Milk Way, excuse the orthograph.)
the year before while I was in Amsterdam for a weekend and
thought it was a great place. Still, in only one year, I found
the spirit had changed. Less people singing on the streets, you
had to pay for a month pass to get in the MelchWeg, etc.

Is there a perpetual degradation? Somebody who would have come to
Montreal in the '70 wouldn't recognize the city. Nowadays it's
one festival after another, but it's all "organized". In the '70,
it was really the "joie de vivre". People were singing all over
the place just for the fun of it. Anybody who wasn't playing some
music instrument was asked what kind of sickness he suffered
from. Hitchicking was easy. I used to get to a youth hostel 600
km from Montreal in less than 12 hours. Youth hostels were full:
it didn't cost much more to stay there than to pay for food at
home.

I regret that ill-spent money -- on the 1976 olympic games, for
instance -- deprive the young people of all the pleasures I have
known, canoeing the North Coast rivers, making bonfire and
signing along the St-Lawrence river.

Still, traveling by bike is still very cheap and young people
don't seem very keen.

Maybe I'd be better off on the road myself :)

I remember while I was walking

I'd love to be back there some day!

GP
--