Re: [debian-knoppix] A few post-knoppix-installer problems

On July 30, 2003 04:27 pm, Fabian Franz wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 30. Juli 2003 22:20 schrieb Gilles Pelletier:
> > I just finished installing knoppix to my HD with Fabian's installer. Here
> > are a few problems I have.
> >
> > The installer does not seem to offer the option of creating a boot
> > floppy. Where do I find it in KDE or how do I create it otherwise?
>
> Its not yet possible. I'm sorry.

Strange! As far as I remember, it was possible to make a boot floppy with
Christian's hnx-hdinstall.

Anyway! Certainly you're not suggesting that anybody should run Knoppix on HD
without a boot floppy, right?

OTOH, you're certainly not suggesting that the average dummy who chose Knoppix
for its ease of operation should create a... 1.68 MB floppy and then find out
how to copy some very specific files to it. Right? In Debian parlance, this
would turn out to be a 3 MB file!

So... What do you mean exactly. I'm afraid I don't understand.

> But the later you could have done right from beginning on. The installer
> has an option for mupltiple Partitions.

(Note: The reader must understand that Fabian is talking about using a
separate partition for /home. Some of my text is missing. Maybe Fabian is top
posting?)

> You just have to edit ~/.knofig and set HD_MAP to "/dev/hdb3:/home" and
> it'll automatically create the Home-Directory there and bind it in.

Good news! I wonder where I could have found that option, though. I had the
hardest of times just finding the name of the script to start the
installation.

> Also you could use kdm and not startx.
>
> Your rc.firewall script should work also on Knoppix.
>
> If you want to start it automatically at boot

I suppose that's what I'd normally want, yes.

> add it to
> /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh at the end ...

I'll have to check this. So, with Debian, you call your firewall file "foobar"
and you start it from a "*misc.sh" file. Gee, I suppose it's a logic that
needs some getting used to!

> You could take the lilo.conf from slackware perhaps ...

You mean using /sbin/liloconfig ? Err... yes, and fortunately, I have a boot
floppy for Slackware...

Unfortunately, this would be no use since I still have that nasty DCOP server
problem. Remember? (I left my text you were top posting to at the bottom.)
Does this mean I'll have to reinstall?

BTW, maybe some people will remember the silly question I asked about how easy
it was to make a DSL with Knoppix. Well... I later learned that the username
I used for dial-up was not OK for DSL, that "@provider.com" had to be added.

Hectic installation! Then I tried to install Knoppix with your script, Fabian.
At about 60%, the installation stopped. I thought there was a problem with
the script or Knoppix and reverted back to Slackware where I got a message in
the tune of "cat: read: input/output error". My CD-RW was kaput for reading!

(Still, as the Slackware installation continued despite the read problems, I
saw that the hardware configuration with Slackware is now automatic: no more
xf86config !!! Unfortunately, X was not installed because of the CD-R
problems. The games, I wouldn't have minded, but X...)

Knowing what the problem was, I digged out my old 4X CD-R from the basement,
reinstalled Knoppix and I just gave you the results here.

So, next time, I'll reinstall... Gee, I dunno! If, as for Knoppix, you install
everything, Slackware installation is also very easy with auto-hw detection.
And that nasty-gritty distro lets you mount what you want where you want in
the installation script -- no secret howto ! --, lets you create as many boot
floppies as you like and rightly calls a firewall file, rc.firewall.

Give me the dummiest dummy, I'll explain him all there is to know about firing
a firewall in 10 seconds flat with Slackware. Doubting? Here goes:

rc.firewall is called from /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 (rc.d meaning
Ressources_Configuration.Directory and inet meaning internet) like this:

if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall ]; then
  . /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall
fi

Which means:

"if" there is a rc.firewall file which is -xecutable; then fire it, "fi"nal!

Uncomment those 3 lines. That's it.

Hey, there's a little bash programming course in those ten seconds! Can I
expect this kind of barebone logic from you.... err.... Knoppix-Debian when I
want to know how a firewall works with Debian? Is there a link to this kind
of QUICK!!! and dirty info?

Hey, I'm no developer and I wouldn't dare giving you the whip. But it seems
The Man doesn't like to see anybody trailing on his heels -- he cleaned his
act with the security updates too! -- and I've got to make a choice between
ready-when-it's-ready-ers .

> Or use grub ;-).

Yes I've heard of it. Seems it's great FSF simplicity, with such convenience
as your hda1 partition being called hd0-1... Or is it hd1-1? Or hd0-0? Or...
But that's good for brainier newbies than me.

> cu

Best regards, deep respects, usw!

Quote about DCOP server:

> > Now, when I startx, I get a message saying:
> >
> > Could not read network connection list //DCOPserver_mydeb_0
> > Please check that the 'dcopserver" program is running.
> > I started the said program as root to no avail: KDE still won't start
> > pass the first small flashing icon when the desktop is installed.

GP
--
La Masse critique
http://pages.infinit.net/mcrit