Re: [debian-knoppix] Difference beetween .deb / .tar.gz

Coume,

Please read this excellent tutorial about apt-get:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html

This will tell you everything you need to know about installing software
from .deb files, as well as keeping your entire system up to date.

As for tar.gz files, you can find the basic instructions here on my site.
http://www.linurati.net/thewritings/Xandros_dvd.html

The page is intended to teach someone to get encrypted DVDs playing in
Linux, but the methods used to extract and compile tar.gz files is standard
across all distros.

The wonder of .deb files, though, is that they handle dependencies
automatically.  If you attempt to install from a tar.gz file, and you do
not have a compiler, or the proper compiler, then it will not work.  It is
also very likely that you will run into an error because you do not have
some other piece of software on your system upon which the new package
depends.  With .deb (The Debian package format), it automatically downloads
and installs the packages needed to support your new application.

Please let us know if this is helpful.  Also, to anyone else reading this,
if there are any corrections or more useful comments to help this person,
please feel free to correct me.

Shawn