[debian-knoppix] Re: knoppix from hd

> Could anyone please tell me how to run knoppix from
> the hard disk.
> I have already read the faq at knoppix.net.
> But it does not work.

It sure does for me and others. The one big restriction
to the so called poor man's installation is only fat(32)
filesystems are supported *not* NTFS. If all your diskspace
is allocated to one big NTFS unit, recent knoppix CD's have
the qtparted utility which supposedly allows one to shrink
one such partition, hence freeing space for whichever other
filesystem you need. I haven't tried this myself, though,
so as for all partitions tinkering, take backups as
appropriate. One advantage to that way of running the
system is you only need to extract the huge KNOPPIX file
from a freshly downloaded ISO, without even actually burning
it to cdrom. I hope this helps.