[debian-knoppix] ash-knoppix outdated?

Hi,

ash-knoppix is quite outdated. Please consider replacing it with
Debian's dash.

The specific problem that leads me to make this request is that
ash-knoppix is unable to execute the "linuxrc" of Debian's mkinitrd,
leading to non-bootability of (newer, initrd-using) Debian kernels on
a Knoppix system (installed to HD). Specifically, trapping SIGUSR1
doesn't work, mount doesn't take -n and the "for i;" construct is not
supported.

I encountered this during last weekend's "Linux Fest"
(http://www.lilux.lu/events/2003/fest.html): Someone came with a
Knoppix system already installed on HD, and asked us to install sound
support, for which I needed alsa. I thought the easiest solution would
be installing a Debian kernel and the corresponding pre-compiled alsa
modules, but the kernel won't boot. Took me quite some time to
determine ash-knoppix's responsibility in this.

Best regards,

--
Lionel