Re: [debian-knoppix] Software recommendations for LinuxTag DVD edition?

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 04:05:09PM +0200, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 12:12:23PM +0100, Jim Bailey wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not sure about evms: Doesn't this need a special kernel support
> > > module? Is it really patent/royalty free?
> >
> > It is GPL IBM sponsored AFAIK since it is part of the Gentoo live CD
> > and Gentoo "stole" their social contract from Debian. :)  By the same
> > token Gentoo's live CD uses the same cloop technology as Knoppix but
> > without X but yes it does need a kernel patch.
>
> I thought that I had read that SCO claimed some kind of intellectual
> property in evms, and that is on of their claims against IBM. Could that
> be?

I been following the SCO IBM thing pretty closely for last couple of
months and AFAICT SCO have not at this point revealed any details of
what IP of theirs is in the Linux kernel and other software.  IBM is
just the beginning SCO have made this clear SKI, HP, Sun and various
Linux distros too have been earmarked for SCO unorthodox business
practices.  So I guess a hell of a lot of Free Software could suddenly
find its self less than free.

> > > I installed icecast-client and icecast-server.
> > > Could not find a package for Darwin on any repository.
> >
> > Just done my home work on it and this thread tells it all Apple want all
> > changes to source code published and kept for 12 months not acceptable
> > for Debian so no package. :(
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2001/debian-legal-200109/threads.html
> >
> > <rant>
> > Apple so close yet so far, beautiful hardware breaks a lot, cool apps but
> > stupid licenses, innovative technology no support for free technology, DOh! ;)
> > </rant>
>
> For which package does this problem occur?
> icecast is in the main debian section, not in non-free. So i thought it
> was OK?

Icecast is GPL and fine it is the Darwin streaming video server that has stupid
licensing issues, they have made it too open, see my link above, the
above was just me venting my spleen at Apple.  Unless you have owned kit
by Apple it is hard to appreciate my psychosis. ;)

Peace Jim