[debian-knoppix] Software recommendations for LinuxTag DVD edition? {Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: debian-knoppix digest, Vol 1 #511 - 13 msgs}

Message: 6
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 07:44:48 +0200
From: Achim Unger <Achim.Unger@Ing-Buero-Unger.de>
To: debian-knoppix@linuxtag.org
Subject:  Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: debian-knoppix digest, Vol 1 #511 - 13 msgs

Hallo Kurt,

Being on the search for an X11-Server-software I just checked nomachine.com.
> The NX-Server ist between 500 and 6000 EURO!

I talked about their *libraries*. These are free (as in beer as well as in
Free Software), and under the GPL. They allow for all the functions to be
used from the commandline too, AFAIK. The "commercial" version is just
a "convenience package" to provide everything unde one comfortable GUI
frontend.

GNOME and KDE and LTSP are free to implement their own GUI frontend around
the nxclient, nxserver, nxproxy, nxsync etc. libs --- and in fact have been
openly invited by nomachine.com to do so!

Also, asking money for software is not against the GPL. I could even ask you
to pay 100.000 Euro for my software. But I can't prevent you, after you paid
and got the software, to start giving it away to as many people for free as
you want, if these people also accept the GPL. So the "money" argument in and
of itself doesn't proof your point. (Your point is valid for other reasons,
but doesn't affect the "nx*"-libraries I talked about).

It is not opensource

It is. Check again. It is even GPL.

Here are the sources:

   http://www.nomachine.com/dev_sources.php

Here are the build instructions for these sources:

   http://www.nomachine.com/dev_build.php

Convinced?

and you have to fill out forms to download the server.

Is "filling out forms" a criterion?! Anyway, the forms are for the
free-of-charge testdrive of their commercial version....

But if I offered a GPL software and asked any user to fill in a form
accepting the GPL license for the use of that software, that is IMHO
compliant to the GPL...)

greetings

Achim

Cheers,