Re: [debian-knoppix] mksortlist question

By generating a sortlist of files in the order of their opening.

this is the mkisofs.sort file which the script generates.

how often do you touch the mkisofs.timestamp
file
Just before rebooting and creating the file list.

rebooting? hm. i was running it in the chroot jail. rebooting wouldnt access any of the files inside the chroot system. should i run the script inside a system that boots from the compressed image on hd? (i know how to do this) without chroot?

or should i boot the uncompressed knoppix root on hd somehow (how?) and then run it? would accessing a readonly mount really change the access times? i dont know...

and what should i do with the installed/upgraded system to make it
access the right things?
I don't understand this question, sorry.

i meant how to go about this 'measurement phase' before the script is run. my work routine has 3 phases: first upgrade/develop where i work inside the chroot then i make the compressed image and then i can boot that too check for bugs and test
i need to know where this measurement phase fits.

Should be OK, since now mkisofs has to check each file for its
appearance i your sortlist. To speed up things the build process, you could
probably truncate the list a bit.

probably the most important is that the boot process and the most used (big) applications are optimized this way...

just let me say that i find klauses buildscripts the best way to master
knoppix - they do a lot of their own magic to make the final cd 'just
work' and save precious blocks

Thanks, but I think that my build script is a dynamically grown mess, and
should be rewritten from scratch, which I will work on when I get some
spare time.

:)) well i dare not speak such harsh words about your scripts, which may be teaching me some bad shell programming habits but still are the best 'tutorial' or documentation on the remastering process i found. but as you mentioned rewrites, we're planning to use a perl script to simplify working on the profile and abstract the profile-copying that is quite complex and daunting in its current state in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession. but there is a lot of magic in this file so our script will have to get smarter than it is now :) when it does, i'll post a note here.

thanks for your answer and hope you can clear up my remaining confusion i described above.

LF