Re: [debian-knoppix] mksortlist question

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 12:32:49AM +0200, LF wrote:
> a while ago, about the script Knoppix.mksortlist:
>
> >The point is: It creates a file sorted by the access date of YOUR
> >installed packages, to generate an optimal file relocateion of YOUR
> >system.
>
> i get this, but i want to know how do i generate an optimal succesion
> of file access for my CD.

By generating a sortlist of files in the order of their opening.

> how often do you touch the mkisofs.timestamp
> file

Just before rebooting and creating the file list.

> and what should i do with the installed/upgraded system to make it
> access the right things?

I don't understand this question, sorry.

> also - how long approximately should be the resulting file? mine is
> 124000 lines now and it seems to have slowed down mkisofs to a crawl. i
> must be doing something not intended - sorting every file on cd... :)

Should be OK, since now mkisofs has to check each file for its
appearance i your sortlist. To speed up things the build process, you could
probably truncate the list a bit.

> just let me say that i find klauses buildscripts the best way to master
> knoppix - they do a lot of their own magic to make the final cd 'just
> work' and save precious blocks

Thanks, but I think that my build script is a dynamically grown mess, and
should be rewritten from scratch, which I will work on when I get some
spare time.

-Klaus
--
Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/