Re: [debian-knoppix] Update: Embedding md5's in iso's...]

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 02:26:00PM -0600, Tom Lisjac wrote:

> > What about having a KNOPPIX.md5 file on the CD ?
> > The KNOPPIX file is the one that is most likely to get currupted as it
> > takes up 99% of the cd, so this way, we can embed a md5 in the cd, using
> > just ordanary md5 files.
>
> That's a good idea. But please bear in mind that checking the KNOPPIX
> file won't verify mission critical components like the boot logic,
> initrd and kernel. Implanting the MD5 in the CD's application area will.

Having the checksum of KNOPPIX/boot.img in the md5sums file should be
sufficient for this part, too. Plus, it can be verified with the more
common md5sum program instead of a special program that reads from an
implanted md5sum.

Regards
-Klaus