Re: [debian-knoppix] Boot from USB stick

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 06:07:38PM +0200, Andreas Schockenhoff wrote:
> > Yes, but I'm afraid BIOS manufacturers are making their own "standards"
> > for booting USB devices...
> I have checked a Phoenix and a Intel BIOS (I think AMI based) both work
> fine. I have problems with a Award BIOS. (A older one.)
>
> I use install-mbr for the boot sector. Very nice mini bootloader. :-)
> Better than fdisk /mbr. :-)
>
> Syslinux for the boot partition. I have booted and run a complete KNOPPIX
> from USB HD. (250GB :-)

But you modified the kernel for this, to have usb-storage compiled in,
or in an initrd, right?

> Today I have seen a small Harddisk that use power from USB. (No external
> power supply, 40G USB 2.0)
>
> So I am waiting for the new kernel with USB 2.0.

Uhm, AFAIK the current 2.4.20 kernel handles USB 2.0 devices well,
provided that you have an USB 2.0-capable controller (!) chipset.
usb-ehci should be part of usb-ohci, and takes care of highspeed USB
devices.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Many Notebooks (even current ones) only support USB 1.x, though.

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org