Re: [debian-knoppix] Klaus's latest build scripts

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 08:38:10AM -0500, Peter Pauly wrote:
> > > I don't run a disk-based system from which to gather
> > > the sort data and was hoping you would send me yours.
> >
> > I can send you the list, but it will be absolutely useless for you,
> > at least, if you want to optimize access times on your CD.
> >
> > Regards
> > -Klaus Knopper
> > --
> > Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
>

> I don't run a "build system". I chroot into a partition. I build
> Knoppix while running Knoppix from a CD. I wouldn't get a good
> representation of access times because my file systems are mostly
> read-only and the access times don't change on a read-only
> file system oder?  To say that your sort list would be no good to
> anyone else ignores the fact that you are using that very list for
> everyone that downloads Knoppix. People report that the original
> Knoppix CD boots faster (actually, KDE starts faster) than
> a customized one. I suspect that this is because of the sorting
> of file names that occurs before mkisofs is run.

Why did you copy the system to harddisk then if you don't plan to change
anything?

Can you setup Lilo to boot your installed Knoppix System? Running
Knoppix from harddisk is not a perfect, but a convenient way to
deduce the file sorting order from the access dates of the files,
rather than to guess which files are accessed in which sequence (which
would also be possible).

Using a sortfile from a different system will almost certainly make
yours slower, because files are accessed in different sequence which
leads to a lot of laser movement (which is the most time-consuming part
on a CD-Rom).

I can send you the file next time I'm working on the mastering system,
but I don't think it will make access times better once you changed some
stuff in your version, especially libraries.

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org