Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Dell computers (Klaus Knopper)

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 07:00:42PM -0700, Thomas Arnall wrote:
> Do you mean all of the Dell machines have this problem?

No, only the "Optiplex" series was reported to have this problem.
Old Dell computers run very smooth. Some newer Dell notebook models
also have problems with incompatible ACPI implementations and exotic
PCMCIA chipsets.

> At any rate, this
> doesn't speak to the problem referenced in Michael Grenier's item. The US
> Forest Service is stuck for the time being with buying these machines, by
> contract.

Bad situation. Then they will also have to buy the Windows release that
"fits" the hardware, and migration to other operating systems will be
virtually impossible unless a workaround is avainalbe in the kernel.

> On the other hand, we are in a position to put enormous pressure
> on Dell to fix any problems in their products.

Explaining to the vendor WHAT the problem is, can be a hard task, though.
The most common answer vendors give, is "we have tested it with Windows
xyz successfully", as if that was an excuse for bugs that only appear in
"real life" situations.

I really don't want to get involved in discussions on "whose fault is
it?". If they say that Linux users are not their "target customers",
that is OK with me, so, then you at least know where NOT to buy next
time, if you are planning a migration.

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org