[debian-knoppix] need advise on new USB device.

I just bought a spiffy new USB device, and I am having trouble getting
a hard disk install (the 20 January 2003 distribution) to recognize the device automatically.

It is called a Keyspan USB Laser mouse. It is also distributed by Kangaru with another name.

It is a device for use in making
presentations. You plug a little RF receiver into the USB port of your
laptop, and then control the presentation using a set of buttons and
switches on a lightweight handheld remote device that includes a laser
pointer.

It took a bit of fussing around to get the thing working.

I am still confused about how to get it to work perfectly, and I would
like to make the setup rock solid before I forget what needs doing.

When I boot the laptop with the device installed. It doesnt recognize the device.

Here are some of the relevant entries from /var/log/messages

Mar  7 18:25:24 squall kernel: usb.c: registered new driver keyboard
Mar 7 18:25:24 squall kernel: input0: Keyspan, a division of InnoSys Inc. Keyspan RF Remote on usb1:2.0 Mar 7 18:25:24 squall kernel: usbkbd.c: :USB HID Boot Protocol keyboard driver
Mar  7 18:25:24 squall kernel: usb.c: registered new driver hiddev
Mar  7 18:25:24 squall kernel: usb.c: registered new driver hid
Mar 7 18:25:24 squall kernel: input1: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [Keyspan, a division of InnoSys Inc. Keyspan RF Remote] on usb1:2.1 Mar 7 18:25:24 squall kernel: hid-core.c: v1.8.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>

and then later (perhaps after I have plugged and unplugged the
receiver)

Mar  7 18:33:15 squall kernel: usb.c: deregistering driver keyboard
Mar 7 18:33:16 squall kernel: input0: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [Keyspan, a division of InnoSys Inc. Keyspan RF Remote] on usb1:2.0
Mar  7 18:33:22 squall kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usb_mouse
Mar 7 18:33:22 squall kernel: usbmouse.c: v1.6:USB HID Boot Protocol mouse driver Mar 7 18:33:53 squall kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:07.2-1 address 2 Mar 7 18:33:57 squall kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1, assigned address 3 Mar 7 18:33:57 squall kernel: input0: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [Keyspan, a division of InnoSys Inc. Keyspan RF Remote] on usb1:3.0 Mar 7 18:33:57 squall kernel: input1: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [Keyspan, a division of InnoSys Inc. Keyspan RF Remote] on usb1:3.1 Mar 7 18:34:00 squall /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usbkbd hid usbmouse for USB product 6cd/402/3
Mar  7 18:34:00 squall kernel: usb.c: registered new driver keyboard
Mar 7 18:34:00 squall kernel: usbkbd.c: :USB HID Boot Protocol keyboard driver Mar 7 18:34:00 squall /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup keybdev mousedev for USB product 6cd/402/3

The log is messed up a bit due to my inexperience. I tried a variety
of things in trying to get it going. What i do know unambiguously is
the following.

Once the machine is completely booted up (into X) and I do an lsmod it
does not show a module for a usbmouse but does show a module for a usb
keyboard.  If I do an rmmod of usbkbd, then an insmod of usbmouse, then
remove and insert the device,
then log out, restart X, and then try it, everything works fine.

I might have made things more complex than they need to be, but the procedure I described results in a working configuration.

Once it is working, here is the output from lsusb

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 06cd:0402 Keyspan
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass            0 Interface
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x06cd Keyspan
  idProduct          0x0402
  bcdDevice            0.03
  iManufacturer           1 Keyspan, a division of InnoSys Inc.
  iProduct                2 Keyspan RF Remote
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           59
    bNumInterfaces          2
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          4
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Devices
      bInterfaceSubClass      1 Boot Interface Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      1 Keyboard
      iInterface              5 HID Keyboard
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bLength                 9
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.00
          bCountryCode            0
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength      65
cannot get report descriptor
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               none
        wMaxPacketSize          5
        bInterval              10
  Language IDs: (length=4)
     0409 English(US)

So the key thing (I think) is that I have to get hotplug to recognize
that the device is a usbmouse, rather than a usbkeyboard (which I
think it is assuming). I assume all this should really take place
during boot time, so the device is recognized prior to bringing up X.

I have read the documentation for hotplug, but I couldnt find much in the way of examples. And KNOPPIX probably has a better way to configure it anyway.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks a bunch

Phil