Re: [debian-knoppix] Dynamic IP

On 4 Mar 2003, at 20:35, TUX wrote:

> How do I set a dynamic IP to my computer? Is there a
configuration
> tool for things like that? Thx for helping.

For what ever reason I found that DHCP wouldn't set up either of
the PC's I tried Knoppix on w/CD. SuSe did, don't know why. My
DHCP server is my Netgear RH348 router.

Click K | Knoppix | Internet/Network | Configure Network Card

If using only the CD, be sure to save your config to floppy, or use
persistent_home or you will need to redo every boot from CD
without the above.

You will then need to put in MANUALLY what your IP address,
DNS, default gateway. Just accept the values for Netmask &
Broadcast IP unless you know they are different.

Be careful assigning an IP address if your LAN is all DHCP, this
WILL cause problems if you duplicate the IP address. I chose one
that is well in the middle of my 192.x.x.x range so as not to be
assigned by the router and print servers I use.

Any one have an idea as to why Knoppix couldn't find and use the
DHCP server @ 192.168.0.1 on the router?