Re: [debian-knoppix] Performance issues on SMP vs UP (was Re: non-SMP kernel)

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:43:03PM +0900, Masaharu Goto wrote:
> Klaus, would you please give me clues to rebuild own kernel for current
> knoppix ?
>
>  - Where/How can I get sources and patchs to build kernel-2.4.20-xfs ?
>  - Contents of your /etc/mkinitrd/* files( mkinitrd.conf, modules)
>  - Related advices.
Ok, I'm not Klaus, but you can check this site:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomKernelHowto

AFAIK Knoppix kernel is just a vannilla kernel + XFS Patch +
knoppix-kernel.patch (6 lines :)

Important: knoppix-kernel.patch _after_ make (menu)config, and don't
forget to rebuild cloop.o!
Cloop (among other things) can be found here:
http://www.knopper.net/download/knoppix/

XFS patch: apt-get install kernel-patch-xfs :)))

> Or anybody tried to rebuild UP kernel and measured performance ?
I tried. I did not replace anything on the CD (did not have time to
remaster the whole CD, only the bootfloppy).

But the system froze, just after INIT started, and I think there is no
problem with the modules on the CD (ok, they are SMP modules, and it is
possible, that there _will_ be problems), but the boot process just does
not get that long. Before loading the modules, some text is written out,
like "loading modules", right? But I do not see anything, just a single
line telling the version of init(-knoppix).

Regards,
Robert