Fwd: [debian-knoppix] hd corruption

Duh! Replied to one, not all.
I keep on getting caught out by that.

Begin forwarded message:

From: North London John <northlondonjohn@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri Jan 31, 2003  2:16:00  am Europe/London
To: knopper@linuxtag.org (Klaus Knopper)
Subject: Re: [debian-knoppix] hd corruption

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for Knoppix!
It's been my only taste of Linux, and a lot of fun to play with.

The bad news is, my computer seems to be completely fucked.
Can't install anything. Scandisk just runs into problems, and quits.,
I think that it is the hard disk, but I'm having so much trouble getting any info, I can't be sure, or more detailed.

(I haven't installed extra ram, btw, so I doubt that's the problem.)

I'm going to talk to the manufacturers tomorrow, but I don't hold out much hope. They make junk, I get stuck with junk. Seriously, I have had hd problems before - they just replace one dodgy disk with > another.

Anyway, for references sake, this is almost certainly a hardware problem, and so is not a knoppix hd-install bug.

(PS: Christian - thanks for your email as well.)

If anyone could give me some tips on using the knoppix cd to investigate hd problems, I would be very thankful.

John