[debian-knoppix] Partitions not seen by Knoppix

Dear all,
First let me say thank you to Klaus Knopper and Christian Perle; this
is a most exciting project.
The version I have is 2003-01-01-EN, and I boot it from a floppy and the
CD. Its md5sum is OK.
The hardware is a Sharp M200 portable with a 20G disk, with a bios which
thinks 8G is big enough. At first I blamed that for my problems with
Knoppix, but it is not worrying Debian, installed on partitions 2 and 8
or Crux installed on partition 7, or Tom's Root Boot which also sees
all the partitions on bootup. Also the Kernel Documentation file
ide.txt seems to say it won't matter here.

On boot up, Knoppix says:
Partition check:
 hda: [ADFS] hda1

I am wondering what this means. The others all see the 8 partitions.
Knoppix fdisk hda also shows all 8.
But it refuses to mke2fs /dev/hda6, saying:
"Device size reported to be 0".

I put the bootup listings on http://www.general.uwa.edu.au/u/clare
in case they might be useful. Any help will be appreciated.

clare
--
Clare Johnstone, University Communications Services, clare@ucs.uwa.edu.au
The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway CRAWLEY WA 6009