Re: [debian-knoppix] config tools integration in KDE control center

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 05:09:24PM +0100, Florent BERANGER wrote:
>   Hello,
>
> KDE 3.1 will come soon with new config tools (kxconfig for exemple) in KDE
> control center.
> What I suggest is to add Knoppix configuration tools (netcardconfig for
> exemple; I also write a centralised ADSL configuration tool) in the KDE
> control center in order to have a complete configuration center.

Isn't this very much KDE-specific then? How would you configure
printer/network/anything under GNOME or twm/fluxbox/icewm; would anybody
expect those things to be in a "KDE Control Center"?

How do you solve the root problem? KDE seems to insist on calling kdesu
for authentication rather than having the control center run as root
itself. Which is actually the right way to do it: just run the tasks as
root that absolutely have to be done as such. It's just problematic in
connection with Knoppix.

> It could be more easy/simple/coherent to the user (who use KDE) to
> have all config tools on the same place.

Yes, "who use KDE". I would prefer a post-configuration center to be
more generic: A menu that is present in any windowmanager, for example.

> What do you think about that ?

I think it is basically a good idea to have all the configuration stuff
in one place (that was the reason for the KNOPPIX menu entry as well).
But I see another problem: how do you integrate shell scripts like
pppoeconf or knoppix-terminalserver into a KDE control layout?

-Klaus
--
Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/