Re: [debian-knoppix] sshd - can't log in to

Hi Whit,

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 14:33:44 -0500, Whit Blauvelt wrote:

> Using the 12.12 Knoppix, I get "Permission denied" when trying to ssh to it
> (whether remotely or as localhost), despite that sshd is running, and even

Try the following on the Knoppix box (as root):

[check if port 22 is in use]
netstat --inet -nap | grep 0:22

[check if sshd responds with the protocol version string]
nc 127.0.0.1 22

[start and view syslog before a login attempt]
/etc/init.d/sysklogd start
tail -f /var/log/auth.log

In the current version of Knoppix (3.1 2003-01-01) sshd works fine.

> # adduser whit
> Adding user whit...
> rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - Connection
> refused
> Adding new group whit (1001).
> groupadd: unable to open shadow group file
> adduser: `/usr/sbin/groupadd -g 1001 whit' returned error code 10.
> Aborting.
> Cleaning up.
> Removing group `whit'.
> groupdel: group whit does not exist

The /etc/gshadow file is symlinked to a read-only file. Do the following
steps before "adduser whit":

rm -f /etc/gshadow
cp /KNOPPIX/etc/gshadow /etc

bye,