[debian-knoppix] sshd - can't log in to

Hi,

Using the 12.12 Knoppix, I get "Permission denied" when trying to ssh to it
(whether remotely or as localhost), despite that sshd is running, and even
after restarting sshd via the K>Knoppix menu, and even after setting the
passwords for root and knoppix (via a root shell). The config file has root
logins allowed. Trying to establish another user to test with gives:

# adduser whit
Adding user whit...
rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - Connection
refused
Adding new group whit (1001).
groupadd: unable to open shadow group file
adduser: `/usr/sbin/groupadd -g 1001 whit' returned error code 10.
Aborting.
Cleaning up.
Removing group `whit'.
groupdel: group whit does not exist

This is a different set of problems. There is no remote system running
"portmapper" in this case (and why does Knoppix think it should connect to
it?). Perhaps by design that Knoppix can't add new users (but then why even
include "adduser"?).

On a different system, I could ssh fine after installing Knoppix to the hard
drive - but this is a case where I need it to work from the CD boot.

Thanks for any tips,
Whit