Re: [debian-knoppix] custom KNOPPIX : my_knx.iso went way bigger ?

Hallo Christian,

> From: "Christian Perle" <perle@itm.tu-clausthal.de>
> Hi Fabrice,
>
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 13:43:58 +0300, Fabrice LABORIE wrote:
>
> > I wanted to customize my KNOPPIX CD  ( 3.1 Beta 22 Sept ) a bit ...
> > I followed the instruction given by Christain Perle ( translation given
> > on the list Sun Jul 14th )...
> >
> > I did the steps described :
> > (
> > cp -a * /mnt/knx_root
>
> Maybe the cp command doesn't copy hard links correctly (creates
> separate files for each hard link). Try
> (cd /KNOPPIX ; tar cf - *) | (cd /mnt/knx_root ; tar xpf -)
> instead of "cp -a".

thanks for the tip... but it didn't help :(
I tried the tar c | tar x that you suggested but the resulting
KNOPPIX singularity size was 726MB
( du -s knx_root was  9M  smaller compared to 2.051.620 with cp -a)

I did an 2 other tests using afio instead of tar and cp ...
find . | afio -p /mnt/knx_root
du = 2.042.700
KNOPPIX size = 726.710KB

find . | afio -o knx.afio .
size of knx.afio = 1.764.000Kb
but once extract ( afio -i knx.afio )
du = 2.043.500Kb
KNOPPIX size again 726M

from that I would conclude that both cp,tar, and afio did their job
by copying only the necessary files but that du and mkisofs are
following the links when counting and creating the iso.

also I ran into something strange:
when running the mkisofs -R | create_compress_fs
I see the following error message a few times on the console:
"end-request: I/O error, dev02:00 (floppy), sector 0"
then the following message again a few times:
"modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module block-major-8"

if I rerun immediatly the mkisofs -R, it doesn't happen...

could this be the problem: is mkisofs following the links
when creating the isofs file? from reading the man it seems that it
does ... and this could explain why the size grows!!

any help if of couse appreciated ;-)

Fabrice.