Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix need more organisation in international development

Hello Florent,

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 12:21:28PM +0100, Florent BERANGER wrote:
>   Hello,
>
> Some days ago, I discover a Danish version of Knoppix :
> http://tyge.sslug.dk/knoppix/
>
> With a team, we're planning a French version of ISO.
> What will be this status : official Knoppix iso, unofficial, available on
> Knoppix mirrors or no ?

Who should decide on what is a "official" or "unofficial" version?

If you would like to have the image available on mirrors, you will have to
talk to the mirror admins and get them to mirror the image, or just wait
until mirror admins ask you for permission to mirror your image when
there is public interest. I can put a french version on the two machines
that most mirrors are polling from, but it is still their decision
whether or not they will mirror it or not.

> I think projects leaders(and dev if they want) for each language must meet about
> the best way to organize that and decide about a common procedure and realise
> official Knoppix isos.

Again, who should decide which image is "official" and which is not?
Who would do a quality assurance and version management?
How will the packages and hardware detection scripts be kept in sync?

If you just exchange some locale files or OpenOffice, I for my part
would assume that this CD is a KNOPPIX derivate. If you change the boot
procedure significantly, exchange a lot of packages so that the whole thing
differs a lot from the versions that I used to make, you should probably
not call it "KNOPPIX" anymore but give it an own name of your choice and
say it is "based on" or "derived from" KNOPPIX technology. Does this
make sense?

> And if for a language an iso exist and is official, i18n files can be removed in
>  other isos, no ? This could keep space on CD (for KDE3.1 for exemple).

You could do that, but would lose the capability to specify the desired
language at the boot prompt if removing all but one language.

> There is no keyb param at Knoppix boot. I see that it's a big problem for users
> in many countries (Belgium, Switzerland,Canada,...).

I don't see it as a big problem, since you can change the keyboard
independent from the language with a single mouseclick on the keyboard
symbol on the lower right corner. My attempt was to keep boot options
at a minimum length. I may add a keyb parameter in the next release,
but doubt that many people will use it.

> Knoppix devel is internationnal, please use the English language to post on this
> ml, write changelogs, it's important.

Well, if a question is specific for the german edition, and probably not
of much interest for other readers, I see no reason why it should not be
answered in german as well, no? I'm trying to keep my initial posts in
english though, and think that others are doing that as well, if they
can speak english well enough to explain their problem or solution.

> Klaus, about the source repositery / CVS, I think the CVS is much better, users
> can browse the sources and changes via cvsweb (
> http://www.freebsd.org/projects/cvsweb.html ) with a simple web browser.

Again, how would we solve the problem of keeping the CVS in sync with
development machines that are NOT connected to the internet?

Greetings back from KL
-Klaus
--
Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/