Re: [debian-knoppix] [ANNOUNCE] knx_persistent_home v0.4

Am 23.12.2002 00:28:59, schrieb David GLAUDE Mailing <dglaudemailing@gmx.net>:

>Matthias Schwarze wrote:
>> David GLAUDE Mailing <dglaudemailing@gmx.net> schrieb am 22.12.02 23:26:12:
>>
>>>It would be nice to be able to store the home of the user knoppix on the
>>>same disk. However KNOPPIX mount it as read-only under the name /cdrom
>>>(even it is /dev/hda5).
>>
>> I didn't test this, but it should find your .knoppix file on /dev/hda5 and mount this
>> device under mnt/hda5 (rw!).
>

>I am afraid this will not work for me.
>1) I don't think FAT or FAT32 or VFAT support .file, I get silly message
>when I try to create such a .knoppix file under windows.

yes, the message is silly, because ".knoppix" is perfectly valid for a vfat filesystem.
these dot names are vastly used by cygwin, the unix emulation for windows.
no promlem here realy.

>2) If /dev/hda5 is mounted read-only and a file .knoppix exist, this one
>can not be loop mounted read-write since the underlying filesystem does
>not permit write (as mounted).
>
>> I think (hope!) this is not neccessary. Anyway, the script will only
>> look under /mnt for already mounted devices.
>
>I am affraid /cdrom is not under /mnt (should I make a link?).
>And I am pretty sure it is not possible to mount twice the same
>partition (once RO under /cdrom and once RW under /mnt/something

i have a /mnt/cdrom
multiple mounts should also be possible. e.g. look how /ramdisk is used
in knoppix.

>1) I would advocate for taking a filename that is valid under most
>filesystem by taking the highest limitation factor of each and everyone
>of them (8+3 + uppercase or case-insensitive might be it).
>By permitting FAT filesystem for hosting the "persistent home" you would
>permit one to use the same partition (USB FLASH?) for saving it and
>saving "windows" document on it.

already possible and i like the current name.

>2) It would be nice to verify if RW right can be optain and if not, a
>attempt to "-o remount" would be nice and help those that mounted the
>wrong way (by design or by mistake).

only if it asks about remounting. i hate when software does something
dangerous without asking me.
if it presents a message box and presents different options it will be fine.
"keep RO -> copyhome
 remount -> persistent home in .knoppix"
but that's before running the GUI so it would be like the dialog for swap
memory on computers with 64MB RAM.

chris