Re: [debian-knoppix] system hang when doing heavy file access

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:11:22PM +0800, Rex Tsai wrote:
> Hi
>   I'm trying to copy whole knoppix into hard disk.
>
>   There was a strange thing happened, when doing cp -Rp /KNOPPIX on the
> knoppix, it hangs all the time. And I tryed
> "find / -type f -exec md5sum {} \;" for test, it hanged again.
>
>   I compile the cloop kernel module, and mount the Knoppix CD
>     "sh /mnt/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /some/where/to/mount"
>   and cp -Rp /KNOPPIX, it still frozen. :-(
>
>   I'm not sure it's hardware problem or is a problem of "cloop" ? Does
> anyone have this problem, too ?

I think this is a kernel bug, but it does indeed sometimes occur when using
cloop.  It seems to be hardware-dependend, too, since it does not happen
on all boards.

You may want to try again with Kernel 2.4.20, I think they changed
something there in the block reading layer.