Re: [debian-knoppix] Include wipe into Knoppix

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 07:18:21PM +0100, Christian Wenke wrote:

> > Concerning tapes: use dd. it is faster and present on every Unix
> > installation.
> What I have to do here is to securely delete sensible data in only a few
> directories (usually /home/<data> and /usr/local/<data>) with together about
> one or two gigs of data on some computers when for example the harddisks are
> getting more and more badblocks and needs to be replaced, the computer goes
> to another division in our institute or the computer is sorted out and
> donated to a school or similar.

It's really easy: just do it as described by Klaus
or: dd if=/dev/zero bs=32k of=<partition>

If this is not secure enough, then you should really destroy the
harddisk, there are several ways, the best one seems to be heat.

Regards

Christian Leber

--
  "Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
   nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."       (Aurelius Augustinus)