Re: [debian-knoppix] adduser failure

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 08:19:25PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> The adduser command doesn't work.  The reason is simple: /etc/gshadow
> is a symlink to a file on a read-only file system.  I think that it is
> worth making this a writeable file in /etc so that adduser works.

Hmm... The only reason why useradd should work on Knoppix
would probably be for educational purposes. You could as well
use

cp /etc/gshadow /etc/gshadow.new
mv -f /etc/gshadow.new /etc/gshadow

(or put his in a script) to make /etc/gshadow writable.

> I have a little script that does an adduser, fills in
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2, and starts ssh.  This may not be more useful
> than sshstart (which I didn't know about).

You can probably put that in KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh for a customized system.

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org