[debian-knoppix] Some suggestions

Hi,

while playing with Knoppix 3.0, I made notes about a few things that
could be even more polished. Of course, Knoppix is already very nice
as it is, kudos to Klaus and all the others working on it.

I'll make this just an item list, and no, I'm not offering to send
patches (yet). (Also, I'll be offline for the next 3 weeks starting
Saturday, so please don't be offended if I do not respond in time.)

All this is with the KDE desktop:

* "Save config to floppy" has a "save desktop" option, but it
  doesn't save links I put on the desktop.

* xine should be the default player for *.mpg files.

* xpdf should be the default application for *.pdf, not acroread.

* It would be nice if "knoppix floppyconfig" would be the default,
  and if it checked if there was a floppy to load (if not, just go
  ahead; if yes, ask the user if she wants to load it).

* Could we have some call-by-call Internet providers in addition to
  the ones that are there by default? Maybe even offer a different
  set dependent on the current language...

* I have a pretty standard Logitech Optical Mouse (M-BD58), but
  there was no mouse wheel support (and it wasn't obvious how to
  make it work).

* The dial-up Internet config uses /dev/modem by default, but that
  device doesn't exist. I guess a symlink to /dev/ttyS0 fits the
  largest user base... (Debian's pppconfig has an auto-detection
  which could be used, with much more effort of course).

* The printer setup used "letter" format by default (foomatic
  + hl1250 and foomatic + ljet4). It's pretty safe to assume that
  the format should be "A4" when LANG=de_DE. Not clear for English
  though... Maybe Knoppix should base many default settings on a
  given location... (hard, I know).

* kprint (?) didn't find it's filter. In particular, I wanted to set
  up the pamphlet filter ("nicht auffindbar").

I know, I'm taking the easy way out in just throwing suggestion here
without actually working on solutions... but at least, 4 more people
know about Knoppix, since I gave them CDs. :) And they all liked it.
(Okay, one exception: boot-up was too colorful for his taste :)

Cheers,
  Colin

--
YYURYYUBICURYY4ME.