Re: [debian-knoppix] Stupid question: Boot in text mode

Moin David!
David GLAUDE Mailing schrieb am Tuesday, den 28. May 2002:

> When booting into ab vmware (I know it is not free nor free),
> I don't succeed to make X11 work.
> It take a bit of time for knoppix to try various graphic card driver and
> fail.
> I would like to save that time (but without having to type at boot prompt).
> Any other solution like "xwin=none" or ??? is welcome.

I guess you are using vmware-3.x. The driver in X is not compatible with
the new version. There is a nasty workaround, not end-user compatible.

Copy /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers to a ramdisk, get the non-free
module from vwmare.com, replace the module in the ramdisk and bind-mount
the ramdisk over the existing directory. Then, go trough the X config
and modify as suggested in the vmware FAQ linked from the same page
where the module can be downloaded.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
begin  LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs
I am a signature virus. Distribute me until the bitter