[debian-knoppix] KNOPPIX-Newsletter May 2002 (English from Bablefish/Klaus Knopper/Nathaniel Pendleton]

English Editor's Note:
Original German document written by Klaus Knopper.
Primary German to English translation from BableFish.
English editor, Nathaniel Pendleton (that's me).  I added
many edits, but beware, I do NOT speak German!
English Translation confirmation, (kindly) by Klaus Knopper,
who corrected my two drafts of BableFish based translation.
The German source document is attached below.
[Translation starts here:]

Hello beta tester, hello KNOPPIX Newsletter subscriber,

The LinuxTag 2002 KNOPPIX 3.0 distro is on time!
Unfortunately the Debian Woody (3.0) distro
has yet to be released by the Debian Team.
Woody and Knoppix 3.0 carry the same version
number, and to a large extent share the same software
packages.

Knoppix 3.0 CDs will be available for free at the BSI convention
booth, and will also be a free add-on to the CD in LinuxTag kit
for sale for 10. EUR at the entrances to the exhibition and
conference.
http://www.linuxtag.org/2002/english/402.html

BSI = Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik
("government unit for security in information technology").

Some of the changes since the last newsletter:

- XFree updates: Server of XFree 4.2, Libs and Clients of 4.1.
(background: Because the new XFree 4.2 version is not yet
sufficiently tested under Debian we decided to use new 4.2
servers and modules, but use the stable 4.1 libraries and
programs for the Client in the Knoppix distro starting in May
releases.)

Unsupported graphics cards can be tested as usual with
the boot options
knoppix xmodule=vesa
or fb1024x768

- Mozilla 1.0-rc2 + German menus (or in English with the lang=en bootoption)

- OpenOffice 1.0 German + English

- ASC update 1.10.2

- Network/Modem/ISDN/DSL Konfig Tools into own submenu

- English translation for the help pages and Knoppix faq

- komba2 (Browser for SAMBA Shares and network environment)

- "noswap" Boot option (necessary only for intrusion analysis)

- amanda Backup software

- new bootoptions "blind" and "brltty=type,device,tbl"
for Braille terminals support

- Speech synthesizer (festival) support, also in konqueror for
"reading out" web pages. Unfortunately at present only
English speech is available as free software, we have however
contacted the developers of the German version and hope to
get it under the GPL shortly.

- update font attributes for lang=ru

- xfree savage and s3switch

- PCMCIA config updates

- bash_completion support

- x3270 Client+fonts

- dillo Webbrowser

- ntfstools

- repaired Locale-bug in the English version (lang=en)
(- > correct HTTP headers with konqueror and other
Browsers in the English version)

- rcs

- testdisk (partition recovery tool),

- support for initio SCSI controllers on the boot floppy

- KDE menu restructuring

- GUI tool for storing the configuration on a floppy disk (no guarantee...)
Actually another GUI tool for harddisk installation of KNOPPIX
was planned for the LinuxTag knoppix version, but we never
want to ship insufficiently tested beta code on our CDs.
However, in certain cases the beta code is available,
which one can try out at your own risk. The installation
hints in the FAQ are still valid.

As usual some links to CD mail-order houses in addition to
http://www.liniso.de/
were added on the webpage
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
which will (at various prices) burn and mail the current
large 690MB CD ISO from the 3 Mirrors, for people
with slow internet connections.

Depending on how much time I have, you may send
a 700MB CD-R and a stamped self-addressed return
envelope to KNOPPER.NET, and I will burn the CD-R
for you. I make no promises how long this will take.

Mirrors:
http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/
ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/knoppix/

Knoppix version 2.2 will remain unchanged probably until
after the LinuxTag:

MD5-Sum                             file name                          byte
-
87286a50e452d88e9a4208148b4badd3 KNOPPIX_V2.2-BETA-14-05-2002-DE.iso
722993152
944b741f5b76d1db3bca37727eaf6b7b KNOPPIX_V2.2-BETA-14-05-2002-EN.iso
722993152

Naturally Knoppix 3.0 will at first only be available at the LinuxTag,
Download version updates are more likely at the end of
June and/or at the beginning of July.

Wish you much fun testing. (Editor: Happy Testing!)