Re: [debian-knoppix] Swapoff -a?

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 08:21:36AM -0400, Brian Anon wrote:

> A boot option would be very good.  However, what will the default behaviour
> be?  I fear that I may miss the boot option and it defaults to using a swap
> partition.

The default behaviour for the intended use as a production/working
Desktop system should be to use swap if it is available.

> I understand Knoppix CD is not primarily for security purposes.  However, I
> really like how the CD works and would like to enxtend it for security use.

You can do that, I will add the noswap option in the last public release
before LinuxTag today.

> How can I do this?  If I can understand how this is done, I may create
> wizards to help with some common tasks.
>
> What is the general process from beginning to end when you developped the
> CD?  Is it something like:
>
> 1.  Install linux on a development system.

I would rather install the system as it runs from CD to a harddisk. That
way you save time modifying configuration files and
installing/replacing additional packages.

> 2.  Install applications.

With apt-get or your own packaging system, or tar.gz, however you like
it, yes.

> After this point, I don't know what is done.  I suspect you have to identify
> what files require read-write access and you create boot scripts to copy
> these files to a ramdisk and mount them from the ramdisk.

Yes, the script for ramdisk use is called /linuxrc on the miniroot
initrd image on the el torito bootfloppy.

> How do you prepare your Linux installation to run from CD and a ramdisk
> (prior to copying to CD and making the CD bootable)?  What other
> configuration changes need to be made?

I sent you the preparation script, didn't I? The major tasks are done by
/linuxrc and /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig. Everything else should be
unmodified Debian, AFAIK.

Regards
-Klaus